🌍 In Africa, healthtech startups like Nguvu Health, The Pocket Couch, Ahkili, and Shamiri are providing access to mental healthcare.
🧠 Mental disorders affect one in four people worldwide, and in Nigeria alone, about 25% of the population is affected by some form of mental illness.
🏥 Less than 10% of mentally ill Nigerians have access to mental healthcare, highlighting a significant gap in the system.
🎗️ In February 2020, Nigeria signed the Mental Health Bill into law, aiming to improve mental health support and eliminate discrimination.
🇳🇬 Nigeria has only 300 psychiatrists to serve its over 200 million population, resulting in limited access to mental healthcare.
💡 Innovators across Africa are launching healthtech startups to bridge this gap and provide accessible mental healthcare.
👩⚕️ Meet the startups leading the way:
1. Nguvu Health - A Nigeria-based e-mental health platform connecting users with licensed clinical psychologists via messaging or video calls. Over 10,000 users across 104 countries have already benefited from their services.
2. The Pocket Couch - South African-based platform using AI to enhance mental wellbeing for teams in organizations and learning institutions. It connects users with mental healthcare professionals and resources.
3. Ahkili - A Tunisian startup offering well-being and mental health services through a mobile and web application, ensuring anonymity for patients. It addresses cultural taboos and isolation.
4. Shamiri Institute - Nairobi-based startup providing cost-effective mental health interventions that improve youth mental health, social relationships, and academic performance. They've served over 11,500 students in Kenya.
5. Clafiya - Founded in 2021, this Nigerian startup focuses on increasing access to primary healthcare services, including mental health support. Users can access services through USSD, eliminating the need for internet connectivity.
These startups are working towards making mental health services more accessible, affordable, and stigma-free across Africa. 🌟
#MentalHealthAwareness #HealthTech #AfricaHealthcare
Read more on BenjaminDada